Monday, November 13, 2017

The big man's favourite

Yesterday was my big man's birthday.  Happy 40th birthday, hubby!  Wishing you good health, wisdom, happiness and loves from me.

He does not like big celebration or hassle about his birthday, so like past years, I cooked him a simple homecooked meal consisting of his favourite dishes. So this year it would not be any exception.  A simple dinner for him last night.

His favourite vegetables, namely stir-fried midin and steamed lady fingers.  I added Hakka white rice wine to the midin for that extra flavor. For lady fingers, after steamed, I just toss some oiled garlic mince and oyster sauce on top.


I also had my "famous" deep-fried nam yue chicken wings which everyone loves so much. Fingers licking good to the bones!  Lol.

And this has got to be my man's all-time favourite soup.  Lotus root & peanuts pork rib soup.


I cook it almost every 2 weeks or at least once a week whenever we could find lotus roots in the market.  Some day I would just toss in peanuts and lotus roots with pork ribs into the slow cooker but other day, I would add more ingredients to give the soup tastier and more nourishing.


Ingredients:
400g mix of pork ribs and soft bones
300g lotus roots, sliced
4-6 pitted red dates
2 dried scallops
1 carrot, sliced
Handful of peanuts
Water
Salt to taste
Light soy sauce to taste
Parsley for garnishing

Methods:
1. To soften the peanuts, soak and rinse them few times before toss into a pot of water.
2. Cook in the slow cooker for about 2 hours before add in the other ingredients. Blanch the pork ribs and soft bones first before adding into the slow cooker.
3. Cook further for another 1 or 1.5 hours until the meats are cooked and peanuts are soft.  Season with salt and light soy sauce.
4. Serve warm with parsley as garnishing.

11 comments:

The Yum List said...

Happy birthday to Hubby! I love all of those greens - nutrition to keep him living another year healthily and happily. ;-)

suituapui said...

Nothing beats own home-cooked just that at times, one feels lazy to do so. Easier to just eat out. So the birthday boy was a happy man on his special day, eh? Wink! Wink! :D

mun said...

Well done to you for cooking a tasty meal to celebrate your husband's big 40 birthday!

PH said...

Celebrating at home with wife's good cooking is anytime better, right? LOL! Love your soup. It's my partner's favorite too. I must try your fried chicken wings. I hope the nam yue I bought has not expired yet hee..hee...

Nancy Chan said...

Happy birthday to your hubby! Best celebration with wife's home cooked dishes. I like all the dishes.

lina said...

Happy 40th birthday to your Hubby!

Merryn said...

Happy Birthday again to John. Happy 40th big man. Such lovely home-cooked meal there. I love the soup the most. Slurp!

Sharon D. said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby, Rose! I love this meal. So yummyyy. My hubs is the same - no big fuss, just his favourite food.

Hayley said...

Belated happy birthday to your husband!
My husband also same, don't like grand celebration, even if no celebrate he also don't mind one, haha!

Reanaclaire said...

Happy Many returns to your Blessed Hubby for marrying you.. such a lovely wife to him!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Happy Belated Blessed Birthday to your hubby...