Friday, January 5, 2024

Go Fun Kee

I can't remember the last time I had bak kut teh here but since its renovation and upgrading last year, it was our first visit late last month. 

The nearest Go Fun Kee Bak Kut Teh branch to our place, we had dine-in on Boxing Day. 


Actually hubby and mil had made few visit to this outlet but mostly for its tau fu fah (soya pudding)

So, one of the weekday last week, we went there for early dinner since hubby was craving for its bak kut teh. After all the renovation, the place looked cool and chic with the striking and catchy tiles and decoration. There is even one instagrammable corner with that Vietnamese vibe in the shop. The lanterns, the table, etc. 


Totally different and more vibrant compared to their previous concept. The menu is mostly the same, so not much changes to it. At least you can now enjoy the comfort of having your meal in air conditioned room unlike in previous setting.


We were settling with one serving of yue tiaw (Chinese cruller); that was a must order when we were having bak kut teh.  Just love to have it soaked in the broth and enjoy it with the flavor of the herbs.


Our appetizer of soft cold beancurd topped with century eggs.  More of hubby and mil's appetizer as Jan and I hardly touched this dish. Not a fan of century egg.


First claypot to be served on our table was this drunk chicken soup.  Totally not our cup of tea!! Too much of Chinese wine in it that we did not enjoyed it.  This dish reminded me of confinement food.  


On the other hand, their pork liver soup was rather tasty and flavourful with generous ginger and cooking wine in it.Tasted better and edible than the chicken soup.


Next was the dry bak kut teh.  I used to enjoy this dish in the past.  Somehow the taste wasn't as I remember but it was still flavourful and tasty.  My mil also prefer this dry and spicier version. 

Lastly was the soup version of bak kut teh. Really great to have on a rainy day.  We ordered big portion for 4 of us.








5 comments:

suituapui said...

The Kuching franchise. I went to the one here but I never went back again as I felt we have others here that are a little better.

mun said...

I like to eat century eggs! Wah, so many dishes for 4 people. I am guessing you all didn't eat all the wine chicken since it wasn't to your liking.

Angie's Recipes said...

Dry bak kut teh looks so good! I miss century eggs so much.

Nux V said...

i prefer the soupy bak kut teh coz i like the hot warm soup over my rice. Yes, agreed that it is good to have on rainy day.

PH said...

What a coincidence. My mum, brother and I went for BKT today but disappointed that it was not that good and so expensive.