Thursday, August 17, 2017

Gastronomical diary of Europe

Now, come the best part. FOOD!


It was a food adventure for me in Europe, in pursuit of local delicacies. Tasting this and that. Everyday was a new day with new tasty dish to look forward to.

If you asked me which breakfast I liked, I enjoyed the English breakfast the most because of its bacons, hams and sausages. However I loved the pastries especially the flaky and tasty buttery croissants from Paris.

French breakfast

We were lucky to taste some of the local snacks and dishes while we were there.  Nevertheless we did missed home so on certain days, so we were hunting for rice and Asian cuisine then. Overall, I simply enjoyed the dining experiences in Europe. Hope my Europe holiday would not be the last. *wink*

London


We had load of cherries in London!! £3 per cup. So sweet and juicy.

Medium rare beef steak

We did have our beef and salmon steaks as well as fish n chips in London. Meant to go to Burger & Lobster but we did not have much time.

We missed rice by 2nd day so we were scouting for rice that evening around our hotel vicinity after our Harry Potter tour. Lol.

And we found an Indian cuisine there. We had its lamb briyani. Oh my! Very good. Different from what we have in Malaysia. Lesser spice but fluffy and softer rice. The lamb was chunky but tender. The dhal was good as well and so were the big sized papadom.


Papadom with condiments

Briyani

Dhal

Lamb chunks in briyani

Paris

Must have escargot and macaron when one is in Paris. No foie gras, escargot would do for me. Lol.

A 3 course French dinner consisting of escargot as starter, duck confit for main and apple pie for dessert.

I managed to try macarons and chocolate (nutella) crepe in Paris. Not a fan of sweet snack but I did enjoyed myself with these 2 snacks.


Escargot

Lamb

Duck confit

Apple pie

Macarons from Pierre Hermes (Lafayette)

Enjoying chocolate crepe while looking at the Eiffel Tower

Under the recommendation of our tour manager, we went to this small Chinese eatery which is few minutes walk from Lafayette for lunch. The beef noodle was comforting. I had the economy rice there. The dishes are weighed and charged by grams.

Beef noodle

Chinese economy rice


Bruges

Belgium is famous for seafood especially mussels so a big pot of mussels cooked with white wine (1kg) when we were in Bruges.

And for the first time, I tasted rabbit meat. Rabbit cooked with cherry wine flemish style.

We had a Chinese course (5 dishes + 1 soup) in Brussels that evening.


Rabbit stew

A pot of fresh mussels

Potato croquettes as side dish

Beer

Warm chocolate

Cologne

The famous German pork knuckle is not from Cologne but we did tasted one very good pork knuckle in Cologne. And we also tasted the German sausages but shared among the other members of the tour group so no photos of the sausages. According to the tour manager, the best was from the train station next to Cologne Cathedral.


German pork knuckle

Accompanied by salad


Amsterdam

Other than the breakfast buffet in the hotel, we only got to taste the snacks from hot dog stands in Dam Square before we were been rushed to the airport.

We tried the meatballs as well as the hot dog buns. We added our own condiment.

Hot dog stand

Meatballs

Meatballs after condiments added

My hot dog bun

13 comments:

mun said...

I like all the food here. so delicious!

Reanaclaire said...

Wow.. all the food is making me drool.. I love the mussels, miss that... and of course, the pork knuckle! Best!

suituapui said...

WHAT??? You went overseas and you had bryani and Chinese food? Yes, I would miss our own home delights, absolutely the best, when overseas...but I would rather grab the chance to enjoy all the stuff there that we can't get here.

Ezvina said...

Loving all the food.

Blackswan said...

I'm very much an Asian when it comes to breakfast; I still need my Bak Chor Mee or Soto Ayam. Hahaha! Did you try any Foie Gras? Yummy! xoxo

PH said...

Ah the food! I enjoyed looking at what you ate!

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Wow! I'm so jealous right now. Huhuhu

IreneC said...

So glad you enjoyed the food there.
Both my husband and I are quite adventurous where food is concerned, and never fail to try local specialties whenever we travel. But we often find ourselves missing rice and noodles too. So sometimes we buy some Maggi mee and some frozen rice dishes to satisfy our cravings too. There was once we had rice with those tinned fish n fried dace whilst in remote Kangaroo Island. Wow! The dinner that night tasted so comforting!

I especially enjoyed the crepes in Paris!!!

Nancy Chan said...

I would want to try all their local food. Ha ha so fast, you started to miss rice. Drooling over all the different types of food!

The Yum List said...

Even with that long list of food items, the cherries win my vote! I LOVE fresh cherries and they're so good in the summer in Europe.

Libby said...

How could I miss this post? So many delicious food.

I love all the food here except the rabbit and beef hee hee

Libby said...

I like the first photo of you

Sharon D. said...

Aah .. you are totally making me hungry! The food looks delicious and I am loving the variety.