Friday, September 24, 2021

Cooking with papaya

A neighbour passed us 2 small sized papayas one Sunday morning. She recommended us to cook it with either meat or anchovies. That evening, I decided to cook the smaller one for the very first one. I have never done any cooking with papaya so I was not so adventurous in my first experiment.

Cute and small unripe papaya

Even if I failed or it turned out a disaster, I guess it was fine. I still had another bigger papaya to try next round. No one can blame me since it was my first time. Lol.
Droplets of papaya milk?

Once I sliced it, there was some drips appeared, and my first instinct was "papaya milk?" Sorry, first time seeing and cooking unripe papaya so I was curious.

Inside

Even the seeds were white. Don't think we can grow papaya from such seeds, right? The neighbour mentioned her papayas taste better in cooking. It doesn't taste nice when it ripes!! According to my neighbour....

So that was how my own recipe of cooking raw papaya with whatever I could find in the fridge. Actually, nothing hard about it, few ingredients for this recipe are needed.

Ingredients:
1 small sized raw papaya, skin peeled, flesh cut into cubes
Half portion of carrot, cut into strips
100g minced meat
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 shallot, sliced
Half portion of big onion, sliced
Cooking oil
1 tsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp cooking wine
2 tbsp oyster sauce
Water 
Salt, sugar and pepper to taste
Cornflour
Chopped spring onion for garnish

Methods:
1. Marinate the minced meat for few minutes with soy sauce, salt, pepper and cornflour.
2. Heat up a pan with about 3 tbsp cooking oil. Add in garlic and shallot, saute till fragrant. 
3. Toss in raw papaya. Stir and let it cook for few minutes before add in big onion, carrot and minced meat. Cook for few minutes till meat changes colour.
4. Add some water and let it simmer. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes to soften the papaya. Season with the sauces, salt, pepper and sugar.
5. Dish out and garnish with spring onion.


The dish was surprisingly pleasant. No, I am not being boastful here (he he he), but the whole dish was sweet and tasty. The raw papaya was sweet and crunchy, although slightly tough. I should add more water and simmer it longer to soften the fruit next time.

7 comments:

suituapui said...

We made som tam, papaya salad...and we did cook soup once - very nice too, sweet. Never tried frying!

Nux V said...

i never know papaya can be cooked this way...

Angie's Recipes said...

Didn't know that you can use raw papaya this way..I do love them stirfried with chicken though.

Libby said...

Bravo rose! Cooking has never been my forte, how I wish I can cook like you, homecooked food is always more delicious, healthy and economical. Yours looks really tasty and yummy.

Looks like papaya is so versatile, can use to make salad, soup or with minced meat like yours.

mun said...

Ah, so this is what totally unripe papaya tastes like when it is cooked. Looking forward to your experience with unripe papaya 2. Wonder will it taste the same as this one. Also wondering will the papaya when ripe, how will it taste like. How is the taste not nice.

PH said...

I have only eaten unripe papaya in Thai salads but never cooked it before.

Jennifer Davison said...


I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586