Monday, March 30, 2020

Better bread

Finally, I did it at my 5th attempt!! Almost!! It was about time before my confidence level dropped. Lol.

I figured out the mistakes on why my bread turned out different in past attempts. On my first attempt, I may have over kneaded the dough. The yeast wasn't properly working on my 2nd attempt so my bread turned out flat. On my 3rd and 4th attempt, they weren't good either. I used the dough setting in my breadmaker but the dough was too watery, and I had to toss it away. 

I followed this recipe for this attempt. More work unlike the previous trials where I basically tossed everything and left to the breadmaker to do the magic. It didn't turned out good but much better than my other attempts. 


Why not rose and puffed properly, I wasn't too sure. Maybe I didn't kneaded properly. About 9cm tall, the texture was alright but could be better and softer.  The bottom crust was darker and harder so we peel off the crust before eating.


Baked bread using breadmaker

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
3 tbsp refined sugar
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 cups bread flour
1tsp salt

Methods:
1. In the bowl, add in water and yeast. Stir and let the yeast dissolve for 10 minutes. 
2. In a large bowl, add in oil, 2 cups of flour, sugar and salt. Mix in yeast mixture with the flour mix. 
3. Gradually add in more flours to make a firm dough.
4. On a floured surface, knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes, until  smooth and elastic.
5. Place dough in an oiled bowl and leave in a warn place for a hour.
6. Punch the dough to let air out abd shape it into loaf.
7. Place the dough in the greased breadmaker. Select basic or white bread setting (for 1 1/2 LB) and press start. 
8. Sit down, relax and wait for your bread to be ready in few hours later. Let it cool down before take it out from the canister into a rack.

Enjoyed my homemade bread

Conclusion: I will try to bake again in the future. For the time being, I had enough of bread making over the MCO. Buying breads from bakeries are so much easier than all the works and frustration. :) However I believe thar I will make a better (if not perfect) bread one day. *fingers cross*

11 comments:

Twilight Man said...

Good try!! Making bread from the breadmaker is the easiest once you have mastered it. It is a sensitive machine and not every recipe, flour and yeast could give the same results. I learnt this theory from my late mother.

I love to eat the top or bottom hard crust esp when dipped into soups. Yums!

suituapui said...

My girl made some very nice buns the other day - will blog about it soon. She tried making gluten free ones in the past, some so so, some disastrous. I guess the key to success is to keep on trying.

Iwona said...

I love homemade bread :)

PH said...

I see improvement compared to the earlier attempts. Keep trying!

Diana Diane Teo said...

Good job! I know that you will never give up. If me, 3rd attempt already give up earlier. Keep trying and for sure you will bake the bread you want it to be.

mun said...

yay! you did it! keep trying and it will get better!

Nancy Chan said...

You are having better result. Don't lose confidence, keep trying and you will achieve good result.

Libby said...

Add oil add oil! I can see that the bread is not flat anymore, i am sure you can do it.

Reanaclaire said...

Well done! This bread looks perfect after few tries! Never give up, ya..

Sharon D. said...

You are rocking it, Rose x
Perseverance is key and you have so much of that. Jia you, jia you

Imemily said...

Same encounter
Perhaps I should try your method
My dough was watery and sticky to my hand
I should try to use warm water one day to my dough and see if it is ok
So far my bread looks like cake (output), dense and bit hard on the surface sometimes
I tried again last night take it out from the pan after "dough"setting
knead it and add more flour so that not sticky but the attempt failed, added a lot still sticky
end up put it back to bake then turn out the surface quite hard although can be describe as crunchy too but not desirable so I think better the dough bit watery