Saturday, December 20, 2014

Croque Madame : my perfect simple breakfast


After read Mun's Croque Madame few weeks ago, I were so tempted to give this French classic a try. I searched through the internet and read few recipes on this gourmet. Some called for Dijon mustard, fried egg etc but I wanted a simple yet tasty recipe.

So, that was how my simple breakfast was created. I tested what I have gathered a bit here and there from internet. It may not be how the original croque intended to be but I believe everything can be adapted and adjusted according to personal taste. My croque recipe is really easy, trust me. That is why I called it perfect simple breakfast. 

Ingredients:
2 slices of hams
1 slice of cheddar (or better, go for grated type)
2 chunky slice of white bread (can sub with wholemeal bread)
2 tbsp butter
1 egg

Methods:
1. Break egg into simmering water in a pot.  Cook for 1 minute then remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to poach.

2. Heat up a pan in medium. Place ham and cheese between bread slices and press to seal.  Spread half butter on outside of each bread slices.

3. Fry in the pan, pressing down the bread for 1 - 2 minutes on each side till golden brown. Keep warm in oven, if necessary,

4. Use a slotted spoon to remove the poached egg from water. Rest egg on kitchen towel for few seconds to absorb the excess water. Top croquet with egg. Season the egg with some salt and black pepper. Serve warm!

I know, cannot see my hams in the bread slices! Lol.

Now you can see them!

Hope you like my very own version of Croque Madame.  I just need to master the egg poaching method more to create that runny yolk. Then, it would be my perfect simple breakfast. *wink*

13 comments:

Joyce Rachel Lee said...

Here's mine -http://www.joycescapade.com/2014/05/croque-madame-muffins.html

:)

Anonymous said...

Yummmm!!!! I am hopeless with poached eggs - the white will go swimming all over the place. Disastrous!

Yannie said...

Looks good, this breakfast is great.

Sharon D. said...

Egg, cheddar, ham ..super yummy, Rose! ^.^

Linda said...

Mmmm...it looks delicious. Poached eggs are difficult to make, but there are items that you can buy where you can actually poach an egg in the microwave. Thanks for sharing. :)

mun said...

Looks delicious! Did your children eat this too? Your poached egg is perfect for those who loves runny yolk.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Loves the way u did it...

Princess Ribbon said...

You are so hardworking to make it.. Your poached egg looks so good.. I only made bread with jam and a cup of Milo for breakfast yesterday, hehe..

Small Kucing said...

simple but nice leh. Yummmy

ChrisAu said...

yummy ... would like to try it !

Yee Ling said...

Wow...that's nice and delicious breakfast.

Huai Bin said...

Very very nice! :)

I want to make this too but have too much turkey to eat first. -_-

Libby said...

Eggs are my favourite